Question:
Not a food question but- Does anyone know of any decent apartments in the downtown/centrally located?
nutterpelosi
2006-12-03 16:25:17 UTC
area of Ottawa. I am moving there from the US. I would like a decent , fairly centrally located place..It has to be at least 2 bedrooms and 2 full baths ...I am moving there with my kid ..a sophomore... an extra den or 3rd bedroom would be nice but not essential.. I have looked online but not too helpful and I don't know any street names listed..If anyone knows of any apt buildings or at least street names with decent apts. on them i would be grateful....thanks a lt..and since this is food area I would also like suggestions on a place where we can have our first meal....
Four answers:
2006-12-03 17:18:14 UTC
Weird that I would just stumble on this. Yes, I do. Lots.

But I have no idea how much you want to spend on rent, or what you like to eat.

Good starts for food:

http://www.restaurantthing.com/

http://www.ottawafoodies.com/

Apartments, downtown: Metcalfe Street is right downtown and heavy on nice buildings. Ditto Cartier Street.

The 2nd bath is not all that common, and something like that will be expensive. Do you want a newish highrise, or a 'heritage' building?

Ottawa CL is worth a look:

http://ottawa.craigslist.org/apa/

This

http://ottawa.craigslist.org/apa/242678054.html

is cheap and big and in a nice, downtown-adjacent location. Almost suspiciously cheap, actually.

And, here:

http://ottawa.kijiji.ca/f-housing-apartments-for-rent-W0QQCatIdZ37

From the 'Ottawa Citizen' newspaper:

http://ottawa.renting.canada.com/properties/search/searchForm.php

Walking around downtown is, for better or for worse, one of the better ways to find a place downtown here at the moment.

Neighbourhoods you might want to check out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Downtown_Ottawa

(note map w/street names)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byward_Market -- loads of info on-line about it. A bit overpriced at the moment, though, and some areas are very seedy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centretown -- also prone to seediness in parts, but this varies wildly and can change a lot by a matter of just a few blocks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centretown_West -- as per Centretown.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embassy_Row_%28Ottawa%29 -- nice, but possibly too far.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Glebe -- very nice older neighbourhood; great main street through it with a good mix of apartments and houses. Possibly pricey, but possibly worth it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westboro_%28Ottawa%29 -- as per the Glebe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_Hill -- University of Ottawa neighbourhood. Combination of businesses, students, mansions; very mixed-use. Nice.

Feel free to e-mail me with questions. (NB: you are moving here with...is it a 10th-grader? Hardly anybody says 'sophomore' here...)

Edited to add: those buildings on Lees mentioned below are a bit slummy these days.
redunicorn
2006-12-04 00:29:31 UTC
Ottawa has more restaurants per capita than almost any other city in the country. With so many places to choose from, we have compiled a list of restaurants to help you decide where to dine. From traditional haute cuisine to the more contemporary and exotic ethnic foods, the Ottawa region features a wonderful range of delicious fare. There’s a restaurant to suit just about any taste, from American-Southwest to Cajun, Italian to Polish, Spanish to Thai, and many more! If you want a map of downtown restaurants
The_Cookie_Goddess
2006-12-05 16:42:50 UTC
I had friends who lived on Lees avenue, there are four or five apartment buildings located there, walkable to the University of Ottawa and downtown. Also transit nearby.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lees_Avenue

http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/st/?id=201855

For your first meal, Merlot rooftop revolving restaurant at dusk...lovely.

http://www.merlotottawa.com/en/
sharon c
2006-12-04 01:23:26 UTC
NOPE